Title: Penny and Her Marble
Author: Kevin Henkes
Publisher: Greenwillow Books
Publication Date: 2013
ISBN: 9780062082039
Summary: Penny is walking her doll down the street as far as she can go to Mrs. Goodwin's house. When she arrives there she finds an extra special marble in her front lawn. Penny takes the marble and loves it! Suddenly, the thought of the marble being Mrs. Goodwin's crosses Penny. Did she steal the marble? The guilt overcomes Penny and she puts it back the next morning only to find out that Mrs. Goodwin put it in her front lawn for somebody to take.
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
.jpg)
Title: Mouse Soup
Author: Arnold Lobel
Publisher: Harper Trophy
Publication Date: 1977
ISBN: 0060239670
Summary: A mouse was sitting under a tree reading a book when all of a sudden a weasel sneaks up and takes him back to his house to make mouse soup. The mouse tells the weasel a soup is only good with stories and the weasel believes him. The mouse tells him four different stories and at the end he tells the weasel he must get one thing from each story to put into the soup. While the weasel is having a difficult time getting the story ingredients for the soup, the mouse scurries home to eat his supper and finish his book.
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

Title: Happy Pig Day!
Author: Mo Willems
Publisher: Hyperion Books For Children
Publication Date: 2011
ISBN: 9781423143420
Summary: Today is Happy Pig Day and Piggie could not be more excited! Gerald is a little upset because he is an elephant and not a pig so he thinks he cannot participate in Happy Pig Day. Piggie reassures him that anyone who loves pigs can celebrate Happy Pig Day. Gerald joins in on the celebration with Piggie and other friends!
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
Rachel,
ReplyDeleteI really like the books that you choose for beginning readers. I especially liked Mouse Soup. I thought it really nicely tied in the concept of reading and story telling for students, while they were reading a story themselves. I felt like this could encourage them to want to keep reading for the different types of stories that are out there that they could be exposed to.
Nice variety in your choices for beginning readers. Did Kevin Henke win a Geisel for Penny and Her Marble? I feel like I have seen that book with an award on the cover. I love the Elephant and Piggie series. They are so funny and clever, which makes it more enjoyable for the adult/teacher listening as the new reader reads. I was heartbroken when Mo Willems decided to retire that series this year.
ReplyDeleteRachel, AWESOME story choices!! The first two especially, Kevin Henke is an amazing author and writes extremely meaningful stories with wonderful illustrations that are very engaging to children. I know at Seven Gens right now the first graders are working with his stories and creating mouse cutouts of his signature character! I also loved reading mouse soup as a kid, my favorite aspect was how there were so many stories in one book!
ReplyDelete