Thursday, September 15, 2016

Picture Books


Title: Where The Wild Things Are
Author: Maurice Sendak
Publisher: Harper Collins Publisher
Publication Date: 1963
ISBN: 0060254939

Summary: Max is causing mischief in his wolf suit all through the night so his mother sends him to bed without his dinner. Soon after, his room starts to grow into forest and Max travels in his private boat to where the wild things are. He becomes king of the wild things and has an all night rumpus until he gets hungry and goes back home where his dinner is waiting for him still hot.

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars



Title: Hooray for Amanda and Her Alligator
Author: Mo Willems
Publisher: Blazer and Bray
Publication Date: 2011
ISBN: 9780062004000

Summary: Alligator loves to get surprises from Amanda, but also hates waiting for her to come back. Alligator finds ways to pass the time while Amanda is out or reading a book until she brings home a surprise for Alligator. It is a new friend for Alligator! Alligator does not like the surprise at first but by the end of the night Alligator and Panda are friends.

Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars.


Title: Waiting
Author: Kevin Henkes
Publisher: Greenwillow Books
Publication Date: 2015
ISBN: 9780062368447

Summary: A pig, bear, dog, bunny, and owl are all waiting for different things. They look out the window and wait and eventually see what they are waiting for. They also see other marvelous things outside of the window. One day a cat with patches comes and joins them and is waiting for something not outside the window. She is a Russian cat doll and four other kitten pop out!

Rating 3 out of 5 stars

4 comments:

  1. Wow, you found three of my favorite authors. I feel like I say that a lot. I have a lot of favorite authors! Where the Wild Things Are is literally the classic of all classic picture books. The imaginary world that transpired in the course of the story is so appropriate for childhood. I adore Mo Willems, especially his Elephant and Piggie series for new readers. I thought I knew all his books, but I have not seen this one before. And Kevin Henkes is phenomenal too. I love his book Owen of course, but also Chrysanthemum and Wemberly Worried. His books always help kids find ways to deal with emotions of life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the illustrations for the book waiting! I also love the idea that while we are waiting for something, other things can pass our path and catch our interest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As Professor Blamey said, Where the Wild Things Are is just such a classic who wouldnt love it! Along with the great pictures, it teaches a good moral of unconditional love- no matter how bad Max is, his mother will have dinner waiting on the table! It definitely puts one's imagination to good use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where the Wild Things are is such a classic story book I remember as a kid. definitely uses the illustrations to really bring out the text and that wholesome take-home-message as Jade said!

    ReplyDelete